Are you having to work from home because of our COVID-19 crisis? Your answer is…
World of Freelancers contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
Freelancing is an awesome way to earn a full-time income or extra income. It’s not all about the money, though. The freelance lifestyle itself is one really significant benefit to freelancing.
Some people are better at living their best freelance life than others. Here are 10 ways you can improve your freelance lifestyle and live your best freelance life!
10 Tips to Improve Your Freelance Lifestyle
1. Respect Your Body Clock – Setting an early morning alarm to get started with our work days is normal, but that doesn’t mean that it is good or healthy.
Interrupting our body’s natural sleep rhythm is actually pretty unhealthy. Improve your life while working for yourself by allowing your body to function on its natural sleep/wake cycle. Stop setting a morning alarm. Schedule meetings and appointments a little later in the day so you can wake up naturally and still get all of your work done. You’ll be able to function better, you’ll feel better and overall be healthier.
2. Set up multiple income streams – The more money you have, the easier it is to enjoy your freelance lifestyle. Freelancing is the perfect way to set up more than one income stream. Multiple streams of income will give you financial security you can’t get any other way. Make one of these streams a passive income stream, and you’ll be able to earn money even while you’re not working.
3. Work wherever you want – One of the many great things about freelancing is the ability to work anywhere you want.
Most freelancers work out of their home offices. Home can be a wonderful place, but hopefully you won’t have to work at home forever if you don’t want.
If you want to get out of the house from time to time, you don’t have to wait until you’re finished with your work. You can take it to a library, coffee shop, or even a park or a beach. Or you can go even further than your neighborhood by boarding a plane and traveling somewhere you’ve always wanted to visit. When you’re freelancing, you not only don’t have to stay in your home office, you don’t even need to stay in your home country, hopefully. And unlike most people, you’ll not just be spending money while you’re traveling, you’ll be earning money too.
4. Turn your Mondays into Sundays – So many people dread Mondays. As a freelancer, there is no reason you have to feel this way anymore.
If you can, take Mondays off and enjoy yourself while others are working away. You can catch up later in the week when you feel more like working. If that just won’t work for you, then instead of jumping from your weekend into your workweek first thing Monday morning, ease into it instead. Begin working a little later in the day on Monday than you usually do. Work on easier, more enjoyable tasks, then wind up slowly to the more important things you need to accomplish.
5. Take good care of your finances – No matter how much money you’re making you don’t want it to slip away, so keep careful track of it. If you have a small business, the better you handle your money the greater the chance you be able to succeed. You can read several freelancing money tips here.
6. Schedule work around life – Let your life dictate your work, not the other way around.
Arrange your work schedule so you won’t miss any more important things, like your kids’ school plays, sporting events, and anniversaries with your significant other. Run errands and go places when traffic and crowds are low so you’ll stop wasting time sitting in your car and standing in lines. All of this can make help you make life move along more efficiently and enjoyably.
7. Get a top-notch accountant or accounting software – When you’re freelancing there is no employer to deduct money from your pay for taxes, so you have to do this yourself. And you’ll have to keep track of your business expenses. You will definitely need either a good accountant or good tax software.
If you go the accountant route, ask around, google around, and talk with a few different accounting professionals to make sure you choose the right one. Or if you can handle calculating your taxes yourself without an accountant, be sure to use tax software like TurboTax.
8. Network and promote via social media – You may not know how to network and promote and you may not be interested in social media, but if you want to succeed in your small business, you’re going to need get interested in these things.
Find people to network with via MeetUp.com and Facebook. Start accounts for your small business on at least one major social media platform – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram – and post something relevant to your business a minimum of once a day. The more and the better you network and promote, the more likely your business can succeed.
9. Improve your health – While most people say they don’t have time to exercise, because you are freelancing and can set your own schedule, you do have time. Even half an hour a day just a few days a week is way better than nothing at all.
Spend time walking or jogging on a beach, listening to music while on an elliptical at the gym, or stretching and meditating in a yoga studio – wherever you’ll be able to engage in a type of exercise you like. No more excuses now! Exercise is super healthy for your mind as well as your body.
10. Think Positive – Successes and struggles can go hand in hand. Working for yourself can be awesome and a dream come true. But it also can be stressful and difficult, especially when you’re just starting out and you need to really work on building your small business in order to get the money coming in.
Stay positive. Positive thinking isn’t just something that can make you feel good. It also affects what you say and the image you convey of yourself. Thoughts often become realities, so be positive about the possibilities for your business, and you can make success a reality.
Now you’ve got some tips for enjoying your freelance life to the fullest. You can read some tips how to enjoy the freelance digital nomad lifestyle to the fullest right here.