World of Freelancers contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
I hate my job. This is a phrase stated by so many people. Increasing numbers of people, actually. Most would probably like to find another job. But it’s so difficult to leave the security of one thing and start another. Beginning another job is not as hard as it used to be, though. Why? Because now the possibility exists that you can work for yourself on the internet.
If you’re hesitant about changing the way you earn money, it’s completely understandable that you’d be super hesitant to embark on a total unknown like freelancing online. It is a risk, but a lot of people are succeeding at this new genre of work. For every one person who succeeds, though, there are hundreds more who never try. This is true for everything in life. Here are 10 things you can do to be one of the people who tries to do new things, and succeeds.
1. Seize control of time – I have friends who’ve told me they always wanted kids but never got around to it and now it’s too late. That means decades of letting time slip by and missing out on one of the most important things in life. If you’re interested in freelancing online or making a positive change in any area of your life, make sure you don’t let years go by before you take steps to make it happen.
2. Don’t be afraid of failure – The people who are the most successful are the people who don’t care if they fail. They look at failure as a sometimes necessary step to success. Try to think like them.
3. Don’t give up – Many people start something new, then stop. This can be a bad thing or this can be a good thing. It’s not whether or not you stop, though. It’s the attitude with which you stop. If you’re quitting and planning to never try anything new again, that’s bad. If you’re stopping to change gears or try something else again and again until you succeed, that is a good thing. So to be one of the people who tries and succeeds, stop if you must but then always start again.
4. Don’t listen to negative people – Maybe you have a negative person (or people) in your life and when you tell them there’s something that you want to accomplish, they tell you that you can’t do it. DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO SAY YOU CAN’T DO SOMETHING. Get away from them, if possible. If not possible, then counteract what they tell you by talking to someone who has something positive to say.
5. Get started – For many people, getting started is the hardest part. But if you’re going to do anything, you’re going to have to start. If you want to start working for yourself, or if you want to do anything new or difficult in your life, take a deep breath, dive in and just simply begin. If you’re someone who finds getting started to be the hardest part, once you take the first steps then the hard part is over.
6. Stick with it – While getting started is the hard part for some, sticktoitiveness is the hard part for others. If you’re someone who struggles with sticking with it, break up what you need to do into pieces. Small ones, if you have to. Then when it comes time to accomplish each piece, just put your head down and force yourself to do it. When one of the pieces is finished, you will have accomplished something important, you’ll feel good, and you’ll have the experience to know that you can do it again.If getting started is the hardest part for you, put your head down, dive in and just do it. Then the hard part is over.Click To Tweet
7. Don’t be afraid of trying – While fear of failure is powerful, its precursor is even more crippling. Fear of trying can paralyze you into never doing much of anything new. But trying new things is one of the most fun parts of life. When you’re interested in new things, make yourself try at least some of them.
8. Don’t make excuses – If you really should do something you don’t want to do, it’s so easy to make excuses why you can’t do it. And even if you do really want to do something, for instance, freelancing online, it’s also so easy to make excuses why it’s not possible. But all the excuses in the world don’t change the reality that many, many things actually are possible for you.
9. Focus on the long term – For some, life can be such a struggle that focusing on the short term is all they can do. But make sure to focus on the long term too. This will make the short term day-to-day life and changes you’re trying to go through, easier. If you want to be one of the people who tries and succeeds, don’t lose sight of the long term.
If you want to be one of the people who tries and succeeds, don't lose sight of the long term.Click To Tweet
10. Summon confidence – This is a hard one. So many people have confidence problems. When you lack confidence to begin with and then you try something and don’t succeed, it can seem like the end of the road. Pay attention to the things you succeed at, even if very small. Focusing on small successes can lead to more confidence and help you be able to achieve bigger successes.